In the most exciting development to happen at the Club since we moved to Rosbrien over 35 years ago, Old Crescent RFC is delighted to announce that the Club is purchasing land adjoining our club grounds which will see the club grounds double in size and will secure the future of rugby at Rosbrien for current and future generations.


Announcing the land purchase, Ger McNamara, President of Old Crescent RFC, said that we have a once in a lifetime opportunity to significantly enhance our grounds at Rosbrien. Calling on all members and friends of Old Crescent to support the land purchase, Ger said the land purchase will safeguard our future at Rosbrien for ourselves, our children and grandchildren.


The IRFU is fully behind the project and has approved financial support for the land purchase, and the Club has also been approved for tax relief on donations by the Department of Transport Tourism and Sport and the Revenue Commissioners.  Details of the land purchase and how to contribute to the land purchase fund will be circulated to all members, supporters, and friends of Old Crescent.


Back on the pitch, our Under 20’s were in action last Saturday when they took on Ul Bohemians at Rosbrien. With the senior team not having a fixture, we were able to field a strong starting XV and thus had great expectations for this match.  These expectations were somewhat diluted due to UL Bohs not having a full front row which meant uncontested scrums from the start which clearly had an impact on the momentum of the game.


Despite this team being notoriously slow starters, we actually dominated the entire first half and in all facets of the game – territory, possession, line-outs, mauls and on the score board, although, in relative terms, this was somewhat disappointing as despite having numerous opportunities, some good defence from UL Bohs and a lack of patience and composure by ourselves, meant we only had a 9-0 lead at half time, following 3 penalties from Conor Lenihan, the first of which was a mighty effort in the conditions from almost half way and the second of which went over off the posts.


Overall the first half performance from both teams was somewhat flat and disjointed. If we came out for the second half with a revised game plan, so too did UL Bohs – a change at scrum half seems to invigorate them – as within seconds they converted their first opportunity of the game. However, visits to our 22 were rare enough and although we continued to toil, and the pack worked particularly hard, further penalty opportunities accrued.


Further pressure from our pack provided another penalty converted by Conor Lenihan and this was followed shortly afterwards by our first try, the score coming after a strong break by Rory Cunningham, which was also converted by Conor Lenihan and we were now 19-3 ahead. Another penalty against UL Bohs, resulted in the inevitable yellow card and so the game became even more dominated by us after that. Despite a rare foray into our 22, a neat pick up by captain Cian Reale fed Evan Moloney on the wing and with a man short and their defense up flat, he kicked ahead, gathered near half way and beat the cover, to give us a comfortable lead of 24-3.


With 10 minutes left, our Under 20’s went in search of a bonus point victory, although there was still much to be done. With the side now showing more patience, Joe Doyle secured our third try. Out wide we continued to stretch UL Bohs, with two very strong breaks by substitute James Brennan, before another strong break by scrum half Rory Cunningham gave the supporting line of Geoffrey Coyne the reward it deserved, as he dotted down under the posts for our fourth try and Conor Lenihan added the conversion.


As if aroused by this, UL Bohs upped their game in an effort to salvage something from the game and they put us under some pressure for the final minutes of the game, but good discipline and defence, meant the final score remained at Old Crescent 36 Ul Bohemians 3.


Our Thirds took on Garryowen last Friday evening in Rosbrien in the Gleeson league with the game having the added significance of being played for the annual Tony Murray Memorial Trophy. It was our near neighbours who took the lead first through two penalties. Crescent didn’t let their heads drop however and were soon on the score sheet. After a line out on Garryowen’s five metre line, we got the ball to Robbie Walker and there was no stopping our tight head from barrelling over the line.


Old Crescent came out strongly in the second half and soon were another try to the good. After some sustained pressure Eoin Murray got over the line for Crescent. Next it was our turn to be put under pressure, we were reduced to 14 men after a yellow card and Garryowen finally crossed the whitewash some minutes later. The rest of the game swung both ways with neither team able to land the decisive blow. With the score standing at 14-12 to Garryowen, Old Crescent were awarded a penalty at the death. However Dave O’Carroll saw his effort drift slightly wide and the destination of the Tony Murray Memorial Trophy was sealed for another year.


Congratulations to our Club Trustee, Don Reddan, on the successful holding of the Don Reddan Day at Crescent College Comprehensive, where Comp teams at every age grade took our their counterparts in Clongowes Wood College, in a celebration to mark Don’s long association with both schools.


In fixtures next weekend, our First team will resume their UBL campaign with a long trip to the North East to play Dundalk RFC at 2.30pm next Saturday afternoon.  Our Thirds will continue their Gleeson League campaign with an away game against Clanwilliam RFC also at 2.30pm next Saturday.  Our Seconds will play Garryowen in a Munster Senior Seconds League clash away in Dooradoyle at 7.30pm next Monday evening.